Welcome to the first weekend reading series of 2021! While 2020 is behind us, COVID-19 has entered the new year with ever increasing numbers of cases, hospitalizations and deaths. Yet, the new year brings hope that vaccinations will provide a return to normal before its conclusion. The kickoff to the new year is also filled with many peoples’ health-related resolutions as well as changes to the health care marketplace.
For this Weekend’s Reading, check out New Year, New Marketplace, to read about required hospital price transparency, limitations to surprise medical billing and the exit of an anticipated game changer, Haven, from the market. Next, explore Healthy 2021, for current information on diet, exercise, socializing and changing habits. In Myth Matters, COVID-19, nutrition, exercise and health other myths are debunked. Last but not least, do not miss Illusions and More – the winner of the Annual Best Illusions contest is a must see!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. New Year, New Marketplace
- SHRM: Relief from Surprise Medical Billing Becomes Law
- New York Times: Why Ambulances Are Exempt From the Surprise-Billing Ban
- NPR: Hospitals Forced To Be More Transparent About Pricing. Will That Save You Money?
- Quartz: Why Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffett, and Jamie Dimon gave up on their venture to disrupt US healthcare
2. Healthy 2021
- New York Times: Set Your Exercise Goals High, but Not Too High
- WebMD: Fighting the COVID 15? Find the Best Diet for You
- Healthline: COVID-19 Decision Fatigue: What It Is and How to Deal With It
- NPR: Don’t Let The Pandemic Winter Get You Down: 9 Creative Ways To Socialize Safely
- New York Times: To Create a Healthy Habit, Find an Accountability Buddy
3. Myth Matters
- Associated Press: Posts misrepresent study examining household coronavirus transmission
- Mayo Clinic News: Q&A: Top 10 workout myths
- WebMD: Rheumatoid Arthritis Myths
- Washington Post: Five myths about nutrition
4. Illusions & More
- Smithsonian Magazine: See the Most Mind-Bending Optical Illusions of 2020
- Smithsonian Magazine: A Brief History of Peanut Butter
- CNBC: Want to be a happier person? The secret may be hidden in these 9 fascinating words from around the world
Enjoy your weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]