On Monday, our country will honor the life and life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Martin Luther Day (MLK) is the only federal holiday designated as a national day of service to encourage all Americans to volunteer to improve their communities. Even in this age of COVID-19, we all can find ways to help our communities on MLK day as well as throughout the year.
For this Weekend Reading Series, explore Don’t Stop Believing: Dr. Martin Luther King Edition and read his inspiring Letter From Birmingham and an eyewitness account of his final days. Next, read about the childhood vaccine controversy, in Don’t Keep Believing – Childhood Vaccine Edition. Explore Don’t Keep Believing – COVID-19 Edition with articles on the latest vaccine myths. In Yes You Can, see what you can do to help address vaccine hesitancy, and last but not least, do not miss For A Smile – the llama story is a must read!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. Don’t Stop Believing: Martin Luther King Edition
- The Atlantic: Martin Luther King Jr.’s ‘Letter From Birmingham Jail’
- NPR: ‘I May Not Get There With You’: An Eyewitness Account Of MLK’s Final Days
Favorite MLK Quotes:
“A lie cannot live.”
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that.”
“We must live together as brothers or perish together as fools.”
see more here
2. Don’t Keep Believing – Childhood Vaccine Edition
- Frontiers in Microbiology: Vaccine Safety: Myths and Misinformation
- Health Feedback: How we know vaccines don’t cause autism – and why this belief persists
- Health Feedback: Contrary to viral Facebook claim, numerous studies show vaccines don’t cause autism
- STAT: In the shadow of Covid-19 lurks the threat of a fearful measles outbreak
3. Don’t Keep Believing – COVID-19 Vaccine Edition
- Huffington Post: 8 COVID-19 Vaccine Myths People Need To Stop Believing
- The Atlantic: The Utter Familiarity of Even the Strangest Vaccine Conspiracy Theories
4. Yes You Can
- The Atlantic: Go Ahead, Share Your Vaccine Selfie
- NPR: Talking With People In Your Life Hesitant About The Coronavirus Vaccine
- Healthline: COVID-19 Vaccine Misinformation: How Social Media Fact Checks Can Help
5. For a Smile
- New York Times: Infrared Drones, Search Parties and a Lasso: Chasing a Runaway Llama
- Associated Press: Teacher trained 56 guide dogs, passed legacy to students
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]