The unprecedented heat wave that began around June 26 broke numerous all-time temperature records in the Pacific Northwest and western Canada. The heatwave resulted in nearly 200 deaths in Oregon and Washington state. High temperatures, possibly record breaking, are forecasted for this weekend for California, Nevada and other areas.
Speaking of hot, Friday was filled with a number of “hot” healthcare news stories. President Biden signed an Executive Order with directives to address prescription drug pricing, hearing aids costs, hospital mergers, price transparency as well as actions to foster competition across numerous other sectors of the economy. The CDC issued updated COVID-19 guidance for schools, with a focus on in-person education this fall. And there is more hot news!
For this Weekend Reading series, explore Hot off the Presses for articles on the President’s Executive Order, the CDC updated school guidance, the latest U.S. cancer rates and more. Next check out The Heat Is On, with information on the importance of wet bulb temperature and tips for staying safe in the heat. Do not miss, Don’t Get Burned, with articles on skin cancer, mRNA cancer treatments and more. Last, but not least, check out Fry Day, Frying, & Dayfri – and my personal favorite, Meet Dayfri, the baseball player turned NBA 2K League superstar.
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. Hot Off the Presses
- The Hill: Biden to direct moves on drug importation, call for plan to lower drug prices
- Fact Sheet: Executive Order on Promoting Competition in the American Economy
- New York Times: The C.D.C. Issues New School Guidance, With Emphasis on Full Reopening
- CDC: School Guidelines
- The Hill: FDA asks for federal investigation of Alzheimer’s drug approval
- National Institutes of Health: Annual Report to the Nation: Rapid decrease in lung cancer and melanoma deaths lead overall continued decline in cancer death rate
2. The Heat Is On
- Wall Street Journal: To Keep Clear of Heatstroke, Pay Attention to This Metric
- HealthDay: Soaring Temperatures Bring Heat Stroke Dangers
- The Guardian: The life-altering effects heat is having on American children
- The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): Protecting Children from Extreme Heat: Information for Parents
3. Don’t Get Burned
- HuffPost: Can You Get Skin Cancer From Just One Sunburn?
- HealthDay: Many ‘High-Risk’ Americans Unconcerned About Skin Cancer: Poll
- USA Today: The same mRNA technology used in COVID-19 vaccines could help treat cancer
- EurekAlert!: Study shows tanning bed ban would reduce skin cancer rates in minors and cut healthcare costs
4. Fry Day, Frying, & Dayfri
- Newsweek: You Can Now Get Free McDonald’s Fries Forever. Yes, You Read That Right.
- HuffPost: Is Air Frying Food Healthy, Or Are We Just Fooling Ourselves?
- Farmer’s Almanac: Hot Enough To Fry An Egg?
- HOOPSHYPE: Meet Dayfri, the baseball player turned NBA 2K League superstar
Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]