For this Weekend’s Reading, explore The Messenger’s Arrival for informative articles about mRNA and the incredible story of scientist Katalin Karikó who never gave up on the mRNA approach. Next, check out On the Road to Normal for a look at some of the vaccine and COVID-19 challenges that lie ahead. In Supply Not Equal to Demand, read about the ethical challenges of shortages, current shortages and more. Last but not least, do not miss Didn’t Know This for articles on things you may not know!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. The Messenger’s Arrival
- Mayo Health Clinic News Network: COVID-19 vaccine myths debunked
- Business Insider: Scientist Katalin Karikó risked her career in pursuit of mRNA vaccines. Her achievement could rescue the world from the pandemic.
- CDC: Understanding mRNA Vaccines
- The New England Journal of Medicine: Safety and Efficacy of the BNT162b2 mRNA Covid-19 Vaccine
2. On the Road to Normal
- STAT: The timeline for Covid-19 vaccine distribution keeps slipping. Experts say it will change again
- New York Times: Here’s Why Vaccinated People Still Need to Wear a Mask
- STAT: Sanofi suffers major setback in development of a Covid-19 vaccine
3. Supply Not Equal to Demand
- The Atlantic: What the Chaos in Hospitals Is Doing to Doctors
- Kaiser Health News: Supply Is Limited and Distribution Uncertain as COVID Vaccine Rolls Out
- Kaiser Health News/NPR: What Happened When the Only ER Doctor in a Rural Town Got COVID
- USA Today: Still hunting for Clorox wipes? Shortages now likely to last until mid-2021, company says
4. Didn’t Know This!
- Associated Press: For baking season, a primer on an essential: vanilla
- WebMD: Opening Car Windows Can Cut COVID Transmission
- Bloomberg: Your Old Radiator Is a Pandemic-Fighting Weapon
- Smithsonian Magazine: Dogs Can’t Tell the Difference Between Similar-Sounding Words
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]