June is men’s health month – a time to remind yourself or the men in your life to get the recommended health screenings and embrace a healthy lifestyle. A few fast facts:
- Only 3 out of 5 men get annual physicals
- Over 40% of men only go to the doctor when they think they have a serious medical condition
- More than half of men said their health wasn’t something they talk about. (https://health.clevelandclinic.org/mention-it-mens-health/)
The old adage, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” is true! Catching medical conditions early through regular screenings can improve outcomes and quality of life. If you haven’t read the story in the news section of AEPC’s website, How seeing a doctor saved one firefighter from cancer, check it out here.
This Weekend Reading Series begins with Maintenance Required, with articles on a variety of men’s health topics! Next, check out Like No Other, providing information on the FDA’s unprecedented approval of a new Alzheimer’s treatment, the physician community backlash against the approval, potential impact on Medicare costs and more. Do not miss COVID Corner with recent news of the latest variant, vaccines and more. Explore Perspectives for opinion pieces on the COVID vaccine, prostate cancer screening and more! Last, but not least, check out S’more Summer Fun to get you ready to enjoy the upcoming days of summer!
For this Weekend Reading series, I hope you enjoy the following:
1. Maintenance Required
- PR Newswire: Aflac Study: Men’s Health Often in Women’s Hands
- HealthDay: Guys, Take the Lead in Self-Checks for Testicular Cancer
- Mayo Clinic: Prevent the Top Threats
- NBC News: FDA approves new imaging tool to find advanced prostate cancer
2. Like No Other
- CNBC: Biogen’s new Alzheimer’s drug could cost Medicare billions of dollars a year, report finds
- NPR: 3 Experts Have Resigned From An FDA Committee Over Alzheimer’s Drug Approval
- TIME: The Controversy Over the FDA’s Approval of The First Alzheimer’s Treatment Keeps Growing
3. COVID Corner
- NPR: The Highly Contagious Delta Variant Is On The Rise In The U.S.
- WebMD: Delta Variant and COVID-19 Vaccines: What to Know
- The Guardian: CDC to discuss rare potential heart inflammation linked to mRNA vaccines
- STAT: As more kids go down the ‘deep, dark tunnel’ of long Covid, doctors still can’t predict who is at risk
- USA Today: Magnets, vaccines and the toll the conspiracy of misinformation takes on our ability to protect ourselves
- STAT: The U.S. mental health care system failed my brother — and millions like him
- Medscape: 5 Challenges to Conventional Wisdom in Prostate Cancer
- Portland Press Herald: Life Unwound: My son showed me sexual orientation is not a choice
5. S’more Summer Fun
- TODAY: S’mores boards make summer entertaining easy and fun
- New York Times: Slip (and Slide) Onto a Water Toy in Your Backyard
- The Maine Edge: These lawn games bring all the boys to the yard
- For DIY games, check out 15 Easy Lawn Games To Make For 4th of July Weekend
Enjoy the weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]