In the summer of 1987, the American rock band Starship released its second album, No Protection. Starship is not to be confused with Jefferson Starship, although the band did start as a continuation of Jefferson Starship, but changes in direction and a lawsuit settlement required the name change. In the spirt of clarifying the history of rock band names, Jefferson Starship was formed by former members of Jefferson Airplane!
Starship’s No Protection album had the number-one single Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now and the top-10 single It’s Not Over (‘Til It’s Over). One wonderful thing about song lyrics is that the meaning is in the eye (or ear) of the listener! The following portion of It’s Not Over (‘Til It’s Over) is appropriate for various times in peoples’ lives and society:
It’s not over ’til it’s over
It’s not over ’til we, ’til we, ’til we get it right
It’s not over ’til it’s over
Don’t go giving in now
This Weekend’s Reading series covers a range of issues where It’s not over ’til we, ’til we, ’til we get it right, e.g. COVID-19, affordable healthcare, healthcare equity and much, much more!
Start off your weekend reading In the News with noteworthy articles on a variety of COVID and non-COVID health topics. Next check out COVID Catch-Up for recent pandemic related news. Do not miss Money Matters – and follow the money in anti-vaccination efforts, from device manufacturers to orthopedic surgeons, and more! Last, but not least, check out Ever Wonder Why? for answers to some of life’s most challenging questions, like why are ketchup bottles hard to use.
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. In the News
- CNBC: WHO urges fully vaccinated people to continue to wear masks as delta Covid variant spreads
- WebMD: FDA to Add Heart Warning to Some COVID-19 Vaccines
- STAT: A crucial, overlooked question on the new Alzheimer’s drug: When should patients stop taking it?
- EurekAlert!: US children pay high price for gun violence
2. COVID Catch-Up
- NPR: The Pandemic Led To The Biggest Drop In U.S. Life Expectancy Since WWII, Study Finds
- Boston Globe: New research on third dose of COVID- 19 vaccine offers hope to immunocompromised people
- National Institutes of Health: NIH study suggests COVID-19 prevalence far exceeded early pandemic cases
3. Money Matters
- Center for Public Integrity: Spreading vaccine fears. And cashing in.
- Kaiser Health News: Hospitals, Insurers Invest Big Dollars to Tackle Patients’ Social Needs After years of testing, the evidence is mixed that these efforts work
- Kaiser Health News: Hemmed In at Home, Nonprofit Hospitals Look for Profits Abroad
- Kaiser Health News: Device Makers Have Funneled Billions to Orthopedic Surgeons Who Use Their Products
4. Ever Wonder Why?
- The Conversation: Why do we get shots in the arm? It’s all about the muscle
- The Conversation: Why do we hate the sound of our own voices?
- The Atlantic: Why Are Ketchup Bottles So Hard to Use?
- Britannica.com: Why can’t you-tickle-yourself?
Enjoy your weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]