Thanksgiving celebrations this year will one again be impacted by COVID-19 – although not to the extent as last year. The COVID-19 vaccines in the arms of millions of Americans will allow a Thanksgiving with fewer restrictions. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the best way to safely celebrate the holiday season is by being vaccinated (if eligible) against the coronavirus and for all adults to get the recommended boosters approved today. Read more about the CDC’s holiday guidance here.
Lower than desired vaccination rates among the vaccine eligible are aiding the continued spread of COVID-19 across part of the country at concerning rates. Midwest and Northeast states are experiencing dramatic increases in cases over the past weeks. Michigan is now leading the nation in COVID-19 cases per capita. Today, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) announced a face mask advisory and other guidance given the increasing rise in COVID-19 and flu cases. MDHHS recommends that all individuals over the age of 2 wear a face mask while at indoor gatherings, regardless of vaccination status.
As you make your Thanksgiving plans with family and friends, be sure to takes steps to avoid having COVID-19 as an uninvited guest!
This Weekend Reading series begins with COVID Thanksgiving – Version 2.0 with articles on Thanksgiving safety and more. Next explore Thanks & Giving with ideas on how to make this a truly happy Thanksgiving. In Timer Setting: 3 minutes explore a number of super short reads. Finally, do not miss Thanksgiving Hacks, and my personal favorite – Have you ever bowled a turkey?
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. COVID Thanksgiving – Version 2.0
- Associated Press: Can at-home COVID-19 tests make holiday gatherings safer?
- Bridge MI: COVID testing is critical in Michigan. But how soon is too soon?
- WebMD: Over 1 Million With Long-Term Loss of Smell Thanks to COVID
- Axios: Mask-wearing reduces COVID incidence by 53%, study shows
2. Thanks & Giving
- Harvard Health Publishing (HHP): Giving thanks can make you happier
- The Story Exchange: 10 Tips on How to Have a Sane Thanksgiving, from “The Art of Mingling” Author
- Fast Company: 6 ways to survive the holidays when you’re alone…and how to help others do the same
- University of MI Health: When donating blood is ‘the kindest thing you can do’
3. Timer Setting: 3 Minutes
- Axios: Pregnant people with COVID face higher risk for stillbirths, CDC data show
- Axios: CDC: Drug overdose deaths top 100,000 for first time
- Axios: COVID rapid tests face holiday demand spike
- Axios: CDC recommends Pfizer, Moderna COVID boosters for all adults
4. Thanksgiving Hacks
- The Takeout: Have you ever bowled a turkey? A look back at the supermarket-born sport that is still played today
- Futurity: Don’t wash your turkey this Thanksgiving
- Lifehacker: Things Only Bad Thanksgiving Guests Do (and What to Do Instead)
- Food Network: Survey Says These Thanksgiving Sides Are ‘The Worst’
Enjoy your weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]