As with most things today, COVID-19 has impacted the reporting of vote tallies from Tuesday’s Presidential election. As anticipated, some states have been delayed in reporting results due to the counting of the large number of mail ballots due to the pandemic. COVID-19, while overshadowed by election news, set records with two straight days of US cases exceeding 100,00 this week. No, COVID-19 did not magically disappear after the election.
In the middle of this pandemic, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments on November 10th in the case, California v. Texas, that could dismantle the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The issues of the case are: 1) Whether the individual and state plaintiffs in this case have established Article III standing to challenge the minimum coverage provision in Section 5000A(a); (2) Whether reducing the amount specified in Section 5000A(c) to zero rendered the minimum coverage provision unconstitutional; and (3) If so, whether the minimum coverage provision is severable from the rest of the ACA.
For this Weekend’s reading check out ACA: On the Docket, with registration information for a no-cost Kaiser Family Foundation web briefing at noon ET Monday, Nov. 9, entitled The California v. Texas Supreme Court Case and Its Implications for the ACA. Also included are articles summarizing the issues of this critical case. Next, explore Promises Kept, Promises ? for status updates on the Administration’s price transparency and prescription drug initiatives. Do not miss The Eyes Have It, for a set of articles on vision, including the impact opioid abuse has on eyesight. Last but not least, do not miss November Nostalgia – and the great article on the history of the TV dinner!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. ACA: On the Docket
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Interactive web briefing at noon ET Monday, Nov. 9, The California v. Texas Supreme Court Case and Its Implications for the ACA (Free Registration)
- Ballotopedia.org: California v. Texas
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Explaining California v. Texas: A Guide to the Case Challenging the ACA
2. Promises Made, Promises?
- New York Times: Trump Promised Seniors Drug Discount Cards. They May Be Illegal
- Kaiser Health News: Florida Fails to Attract Bidders for Canada Drug Importation Program
- AJMC: HHS Wraps Up Rule Requiring Price Transparency by Payers
3. The Eyes Have It
- U.S. News & World Report: Another Tragedy Tied to Opioids: Eye Disease
- New York Times: Does Wearing Glasses Protect You From Coronavirus?
- WebMD: Face Masks and Foggy Glasses: A COVID Consequence
4. November Nostalgia
- Smithsonian Magazine: A Brief History of the TV Dinner –Thanksgiving’s most unexpected legacy is heating up again
- USA Today: Off the shelf: Here’s 34 breakfast cereals you can’t buy anymore at the grocery store
- History: Tupperware Parties: Suburban Women’s Plastic Path to Empowerment
- AP News: Tupperware profits soar as pandemic shut-ins store leftovers
Enjoy the weekend!
Birmingham, MI 48012