This week the U.S. saw many positive developments in its fight against COVID-19. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine was approved for children ages 12 to 15. For the approximately 17 million children in this age group, vaccination is a significant step towards returning to a more normal life. The CDC announcement of relaxed mask guidance for vaccinated people is another hopeful sign that the worst of the pandemic may be in the rearview mirror!
May is Mental Health Awareness month. The COVID-19 pandemic and the resulting economic crisis has negatively impacted the mental health of millions of Americans – without regard to age, race, income, and other socio-economic factors. The negative impact on mental health of racial violence, harassment, domestic abuse, bullying, etc. is significant. The challenge to eliminate the stigma associated with mental health conditions and provide affordable access to high quality mental health services has never been greater than now.
This Weekend Reading Series begins with You’re Not Alone, with articles on the adult mental health crisis. Next, check out Kids Too, with information on the rise of children ER mental health visits, teen mental health and more. Do not miss Where’s the Help? with articles for two innovative programs, Seize the Awkward, and Hollaback – both with tips you can use at home and work. This section also includes articles on the emerging trend of pharmacy chains offering mental health services. Last, but not least, check out NFTs, Cookies & Drones– and learn who invented chocolate chips.
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. You’re Not Alone
- Stat: As the Covid-19 crisis ebbs in the U.S., experts brace for some to experience psychological fallout
- World Economic Forum: How the pandemic has affected mental health in America
- Kaiser Family Foundation: Mental health impact of COVID-19 Pandemic: An update
- NPR: If Your Brain Feels Foggy And You’re Tired All The Time, You’re Not Alone
2. Kids Too
- American Psychiatric Association: New APA Poll Shows Sustained Anxiety Among Americans; More than Half of Parents are Concerned About the Mental Well-being of Their Children
- HealthDay: ED Visits for Pediatric Mental Health Issues Up During COVID-19 –Odds of admission for mental health issues also on the rise, as were lengths of stay
- WebMD: Pandemic Has Harmed Mental Health of Teens
3. Where’s the Help?
- PR Newswire: As Young Adults Continue to Navigate the Challenges Posed by COVID-19, Seize the Awkward is Here to Help
- Seize the Awkward program
- CNBC: 5 things you can do in the moment if you witness racial harassment
- NPR: CVS To Offer In-Store Mental Health Counseling
- Becker’s Hospital Review: Walmart, CVS & more: How pharmacy chains are breaking into the mental health sector
4. NFT, Cookies & Drones
- Axios: “NFT” gets dictionary treatment
- Lemelson-MIT: Ruth Wakefield Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Associated Press: Girl Scout cookies take flight in Virginia drone deliveries
Enjoy your weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]