Thanksgiving, like other 2020 holidays, will be different this year due to COVID-19. Yesterday, the CDC urged Americans not to travel for Thanksgiving and not to spend the holiday with people from outside their household as COVD-19 cases surge out of control. If families do decide to include others for dinner, the CDC recommends: gatherings should be outdoors if possible, with people keeping 6 feet apart and wearing masks and just one person serving the food.
Across the country, hospital staff is exhausted and falling ill as they struggle to treat the increasing number of cases. They are pleading for people to wear a mask, social distance, and follow other CDC guidelines. The looming question: will Americans come together to fight the pandemic?
For this Weekend’s explore #Voices of Heroes, for health care workers’ moving stories – they truly are heroes! Next, check out #Answering the Callfor fresh views on how we all can help reduce the spread of COVD-19. Do not miss Germany PSA videos that take a light-hearted approach to mitigation methods. #Opposing Viewsprovide insight into the recent, controversial Danish mask study, advice for how to turn down a Thanksgiving dinner invite and more. Last but not least, do not miss #November Nostalgia– especially the wishbone article!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. #Voices of Heroes
- The Lily: Health-care workers are desperate for Americans to listen: ‘We didn’t go to nursing school to be martyrs’
- The Conversation: Rural hospitals are under siege from COVID-19 – here’s what doctors are facing, in their own words
- The Atlantic: Hospitals Know What’s Coming
- Newsweek: Nurse’s Emotional Encounter With COVID-Skeptic Patient Who Later Admitted ‘I Was Mistaken’ Goes Viral
2. #Answering the Call
- The Atlantic: The Pandemic Safety Rule That Really Matters
- Wisconsin Medical Journal: Redefining Self-Interest – The US Response to COVID-19
- New York Times: Hospitals and Health Care Workers Issue a Call to Arms for Wearing Masks and https://www.aha.org/wearamask
- Germany’s PSAs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT5qSAhHajk&feature=emb_logo
3. #Opposing Views
- New York Times: How to Deal With People Who Ignore Covid Safety First, let’s assume that they are not necessarily going to listen.
- WebMD: How Much Does Wearing a Mask Protect You?
- The Guardian: Want to skip Thanksgiving dinner with family? This expert negotiator can help
- Scientific American: To Understand How Science Denial Works, Look to History
4. #November Nostalgia
- Farmer’s Almanac: Turkey Trivia Facts About the Turkey—An All-American Bird!
- Reader’s Digest: This Is Why We Make a Wish on Wishbones
- History.com: First Thanksgiving Meal
Hope you enjoy the weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]