Strides are being made in the distribution and administration of COVID-19 vaccines. As part of the first phase the Federal Retail Pharmacy Program, one million vaccine doses were directly sent to 6,500 pharmacies and grocery stores who began administering vaccines today.
The major chains that that will offer vaccine varies by state You can look-up your state here. Pharmacies and grocery stores must administer vaccines in accordance with state allocation guidelines.
This Weekend Reading Series begins with the Tribute to African American History and the story Dr. Leonidas Harris Berry a pioneer in gastroscopy, who dedicated his life to the pursuit of racial, physical, and economic parity for African Americans in Chicago through medicine, teaching, writing, lecturing, and community service. Next, check out the COVID Corner for timely information on masks, the state of COVID-19 vaccines, herd immunity and more! Do not miss Heart Matters for tips on maintaining a healthy heart and the outstanding piece on health disparities entitled, What February Brings. Last but not least, check out It’s Sweet as It Can Be – just in time for Valentine’s Day!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. Tribute to African American History
- National Library of Medicine: Leonidas H. Berry and the Fight to Desegregate Medicine
- National Library of Medicine Inventor & Mentor: Dr. Leonidas Berry and the Gastroscope
2. COVID Corner
- New York Times: Americans Must Tighten Up, or Double Up, Their Masks, C.D.C. Says
- CDC: Mask Guidance
- The Atlantic: What If We Never Reach Herd Immunity?
- Vox: We’re not looking at the most important vaccine statistic
- New York Times: Covid Vaccines for Kids Are Coming, but Not for Many Months
3. Heart Matters
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP): What February Brings
- WebMD: Daily Coffee Tied to Lower Risk for Heart Failure
- U.S. News: AHA News: Watch Your Heart Rate, But Don’t Obsess About It
- Science Daily: Diabetes powerfully associated with premature coronary heart disease in women
4. It’s as Sweet as It Can Be
- History: How Chocolate Became a Valentine’s Day Staple
- NPR: How To Savor Chocolate Like A Cocoa Expert
- New York Times: For Cocoa With Panache, Make Hot Chocolate Bombs
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health: The Nutrition Source: Dark Chocolate
Enjoy the weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]