As in Bob Dylan’s song, The Times They Are A Changing, times are changing for the better – and hopefully the positive progress on COVID-19 in the US will continue! The seven-day average of daily new coronavirus infections in the US fell below 30,000 for the first time in nearly a year – in late March the average was around 66,000. For the first time in almost 14 months, the seven-day average of coronavirus deaths in the US has dropped below 500. The CDC reports that around 38% of people in the U.S. have now been fully vaccinated and that over 600,000 children ages 12 to 15 received their first does on the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine. And today the White House announced that dating apps, such as Tinder, Occupied, Hinge and others will promote the idea that getting a shot could help users get a date by using badges and other premium features. Yes, the times are changing.
Going maskless when we go out to indoor public places or displaying a “vaccinated” badge on a dating app is built on one core assumption – people will be honest about their vaccine status. The stakes for honesty are higher than in the 1950s Who Do You Trust? TV game emceed by Johnny Carson, or other game shows like Truth or Consequences and To Tell the Truth. Time will tell.
This Weekend Reading Series begins with It’s a Matter of Trust, with articles on the role that trust plays in this latest phase of the pandemic. Explore Don’t Lie to Me, with information on spotting a liar and how to respond when someone lies. Next up is Play the Game – take 30 minutes to play the free on-line game, The Evolution Of Trust, developed by the educator and game designer Nicky Case. The app takes complex game theory about human cooperation versus winner takes all approach and turns it into a fun and educational game.
Do not miss, Did You Know? for some tips on health and wellness – and read about how video gaming is not all bad! Last, but not least, take time to check out A Fistful of Dollars – yes, it’s about money!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. It’s a Matter of Trust
- University of MI Health: Adults Unmasked: What That Means for Unvaccinated Kids
- NPR: The CDC Is Gambling On Relaxed Mask Rules To Get More People Vaccinated
- New York Times: New Honor System on Masks: ‘Am I to Trust These People?’
- STAT: My Covid scars need time to heal. Going maskless and getting back to ‘normal’ will take me a while
2. Don’t Lie to Me
- Knowable Magazine: The truth about lying
- Psychology Today: How to Detect Lies
- HuffPost: What To Do If Someone Is Lying To Your Face
3. Play the Game
4. Did You Know?
- University of Michigan Health: The New Age to Get Your Colorectal Cancer Screening
- American Heart Association News: 5 Critical Steps to Help Prevent a Stroke
- American Stroke Association: SPOT A STROKE F.A.S.T. F.A.S.T. is an easy way to remember the sudden signs of a stroke
- MD Linx: The surprising health benefits of this ‘lazy’ pastime
5. Fistful of Dollars
- University of MI LAB: Routine Testing Before Surgery Remains Common Despite Low Value
- Kaiser Health News: ‘Kicking You When You’re Down’: Many Cancer Patients Pay Dearly for Parking
- Kaiser Health News: Covid Testing Has Turned Into a Financial Windfall for Hospitals and Other Providers
Enjoy your weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]