Most of us have been asked to sing or listen to a child singing an alphabet song or two – multiple times! Perhaps it was the “traditional” ABC song that uses the same tune as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Or the Sesame Street Rap Alphabet Song. Learning the alphabet provides the critical foundation for reading, writing, verbal communication and more throughout life.
Did you know that by learning the ABCDEFs you can help loved ones avoid delirium, a common side effect of being in the ICU for COVID-19, after surgery, or for other medical reasons? Delirium is not only frightening to the patient, but it also often leads to physical, cognitive, and mental problems that are not directly related to the medical problems for which the individual was being treated. These problems are the side-effects of the ICU – and can last for months, or years. ICU delirium also results in longer ICU stays, thus increasing health care costs. Yet, ICU delirium can be avoided.
This Weekend Reading starts with D is for Delirium with articles on delirium and its impact on quality of life, clinical outcomes, and costs. Next, in L is for List, learn about the ABCDEF, and tools that family members can use when a loved one is in the ICU. In The F Word, explore articles on the growing use of fentanyl and significant increase in overdoses. Finally, do not miss, T is for Tech – and my personal favorite about Tamagotchis!
I hope you enjoy the following:
1. D is for Delirium
- Pharmacy Practice News: COVID-19 Triggers Spike In ICU Delirium
- Science Daily: Large study finds higher burden of acute brain dysfunction for COVID-19 ICU patients
- MedPage Today: Acute Brain Dysfunction Prolonged in COVID-19 ICU Patients— ‘COVID in the ICU is like a delirium factory’
- The Critical Illness, Brain Dysfunction and Survivorship (CIBS) Center: ICU Delirium Overview
2. L is for List
- The Daily Beast: What You Need to Know Before You Wind Up in the ICU
- The Critical Illness, Brain Dysfunction and Survivorship (CIBS) Center: How to Help a Patient with Delirium
- American Thoracic Society: Managing The Intensive Care Unit(ICU) Experience: A Proactive Guide for Patients and Families
3. The F Word
- The Guardian: ‘It’s a different beast’: US fentanyl deaths will rise, warns Narcan developer
- Reuters: Fact Check-Overdose of fentanyl just by being in its presence is not possible, experts tell Reuters
- University of MI Health: Less than 10% of opioid overdose patients are prescribed potentially lifesaving medications after emergency treatment
- The U.S.-China Economic and Security Review Commission: Illicit Fentanyl from China: An Evolving Global Operation
4. T is for Tech
- Wired: The Tamagotchi Was Tiny, but Its Impact Was Huge
- Futurity: Can selfie software predict if you’ll develop Parkinson’s?
- JSTOR Daily: How Computer Science Became a Boys’ Club
- Futurity. Microwaves and other small noises really stress out your dog
Enjoy your weekend!
Suzanne Daniels, Ph.D.
P.O. Box 1416
Birmingham, MI 48012
Office: (248) 792-2187
Email: [email protected]