The articles for this Weekend Reading series provide information about the impact of COVID-19 on youth, including an emerging concern that cases of a new pediatric multi-system inflammatory syndrome may be related to the novel coronavirus. Take time to check out the Remembering Mom as well as Feel Like a Kid Again sections!
I hope you enjoy exploring the following:
1. COVID-19: Yes Children & Teens Are Impacted
- New York Times: A New Coronavirus Threat to Children
- New York Times: New Studies Add to Evidence that Children May Transmit the Coronavirus
- University of Michigan Health: 8 Ways to Help Teens Cope with Social Distancing Blues
- New York Times: How Coronavirus Shifted the Stakes of Teenage Rebellion
- The Atlantic: What Happened to American Childhood?
2. Remembering Mom
- History.com: Mother’s Day 2020
- Washington Post: Mother’s Day Essay – After the Cure, My mother’s childhood bout with polio paralyzed more than her body. I’ve spent much of my life trying to understand that paralysis
3. Feel Like A Kid Again – “Be happy for no reason, like a child. If you are happy for a reason, you’re in trouble, because that reason can be taken from you.”― Deepak Chopra
- Washington Post: Why solving puzzles feels so satisfying, especially during a quarantine
- National Geographic Kids: Make Paper Beads
- Washington Post: Toilet paper dodgeball and theme dinners: How bored families are surviving the coronavirus lockdown